I think Debussy would be just right on a day like today ...



A couple of days ago, I was sitting here working, and I kept hearing breathing, just light mouth or perhaps pursed-lipped breathing as if someone were sleeping close by. I had the air conditioner on upstairs, and of course where I sit in the dining room I hear the refrigerator kick on in the kitchen next door, and sometimes noises outside, but never anything like that. I kept thinking ah, it's just a combination of noises; at one point I even paid close attention to my own breathing thinking it was me! LOL which of course it wasn't. It immediately brought to mind my ex-husband, who lived with me in this house, but whom I divorced and we stayed friends. When he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and grew sicker he still always came by. I always knew he loved me more than anything in the world and our being divorced was just a piece of paper to him. He never came empty-handed, usually bearing breakfast for me, or sometimes stuff for dinner, and I would cook and try to get him to eat. This house was his refuge I suppose as he loved it, and perhaps he just wanted to be close to me, and scared, and did not want to be alone. Oftentimes while I was working he would sit in my recliner and fall asleep and I would listen to him breathing. I always teased him that if he died in that chair I was going to be upset! but he did not die here. I have to wonder though if he's not still here. I know this may seem a little weird to some of you, and perhaps I should get ready for the little men in white coats to come take me away, huh?! but stranger things have happened without reason, like sometimes smelling cigarette smoke in the house, and I recall being woken up abruptly from sleep by a hand that spookingly stroked down my neck and right shoulder. I just about moved out of here on that one, let me tell ya! I live alone, so there was no one here but me, and I expected to see someone there when I raised out of bed over that one, and just like this latest incident two days ago I went into the livingroom to see if perhaps somebody (one of my grown kids) slipped in and I didn't know it, but of course there was no one there. These few incidents are a little unnerving but I am not moving. I think perhaps I am being watched over and I am not fearful but I still contemplate the meaning of all of it.

I always loved Debussy, I can play his Clair de Lune and Arabesque on the piano but I love to hear him, he certainly does it better than I do! He is from the romantic period, and I love the flow of his music.



Hope everybody has a nice day. It's back to work for me, break is over.

9 comments:

  1. Very Good Post, Bella ~ I believe in that sorta thing. Just Wanted to stop in and say Hello :) - Looks like a Nice Quiet Neighborhood, Your Blog Looks Great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mousey! It is really nice to see you over here. It is quiet here but you have to make sure you get links up and have the settings right. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing strange about this, and this is a benign caring visitation so you shouldn't be concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he is still watching over you with love. It would be scary at first, but knowing it's him should make you feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry,

    You know I don't mind him being here in spirit, LOL, if it IS him, it just gets a little creepy and sometimes I think I need to run out! The house is exceptionally quiet today, as if to say, I think I've scared her enough. Actually I haven't slept too well the last couple of nights either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secret, let's hope it IS him. Perhaps I'll just pass the breathing off as unexplained noise? but that neck/shoulder touch was just too surreal~!!! At that time I had been sleeping a lot and really tired and perhaps he was worried about me, and just wanted to shake me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had an experience like you've had; but after my great grandmother died in the upstairs bedroom of my grandmother's home, my mother could sometimes feel my great grandmothers hand on top of hers whenever she touched the top post of the upstairs banister. It both frightened and comforted her.

    It wasn't until my mother was all grown up and visiting with her two siblings that she mentioned the strange experience to them and they both were shocked because they had both experienced the same sensation whenever they touched the same banister post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happens a lot, Bella. I think I may have mentioned before that for some years my paternal grandmother came back to the house, manifesting as the smell of hyacinths (out of season), and that Dad still does. He manifests as a smell of cigar smoke. I've never had the sensation of being touched, but someone did sit on the edge of my bed one night. I sleep with my door partially closed; it sticks, and Mom no longer has the strength to open it, and the cat, who might have slipped in through the small opening, was outside that night. I still don't know who it was who sat beside me that night. As for Dad, after many years I've finally learned to say, "Hi, Daddy, glad you stopped by--I love you--" and he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Miss B, that comment marked "anonymous" is no such thing--it's me.

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!