Computer vision syndrome? No Kidding!


I have noticed that since I am proofing and constantly looking at the computer screen, my eyes have become more drier it seems, to the point of really not being able to ignore the irritation, especially today. It looks like I'm going to have to pull out the eyedrops and keep 'em lubbed!

Obviously lots of people suffer from this, especially if they spend long hours gazing at a screen. Dr Mohan Rajan, medical director, Rajan Eye Care Hospital, a leading Chennai-based tertiary centre treating eye disorders explains:

“Normally we blink 15 times in a minute. But while working on computers, the blink rate comes down to 5 times a minute, resulting in the evaporation of fluids on the eye. This results in dry eye. For some, this may lead to severe headaches and in extreme cases even to depression (okay I'm not so sure I believe the depression bit).”

Let's do the math shall we? Normally if I blink 15x a minute for at least 7 hours I'm working (minus the 30 minutes for lunch and two 15-minute breaks) that's 15 x 60 minutes in a hour which is 900 times an hour (I'm pretty sure I don't do that much)... which would a total blinking of 6,300 times in 7 hours, which means relatively nothing really...cause obviously I'm not doing enough blinking or looking away from my screen.

Other symptoms of CVS, besides dry eyes, include: tired eyes, eyestrain, sore eyes, periodic blurred near vision, occasional blurred distance vision, slowness in changing the focus of your eyes, red eyes, burning eyes, contact lens discomfort, changes in color perception, glare sensitivity, excessive neck, shoulder and back pain. Okay, do some of these symptoms really relate to the eye issue or more so to protocol distances of screen to eyes, arms to keyboard, and overall posture at the computer desk? It would seem so to me.

What does this doctor recommend for eye symptoms? “We suggest a formula 20:20:20 to professionals. Every 20 minutes, for 20 seconds, blink 20 times,” he advises. One should take micropauses and focus on distant objects at regular intervals. I don't think I could do that every 20 minutes but maybe I could remember to do it occasionally. My suggestion is a good eye checkup first, and glasses if need be!

I can certainly identify with the dry eye thingy and blurred vision when its really bad! I know I am going to have to practice blinking more or looking away more frequently as my eyes are sooo dry that the drops burn hitting their green target! Time to lube up again!

My tired eyes and I will be back when we feel better. In the meantime, enjoy what's playing on in Pink Pod! including some new tunes, and 50 minutes of Walter Trout and the Radicals!

Somebody stole the pink pod?! go visit my MixPod site, and play it!

songs on this pod include:(but not limited to...lol)

  • The White Stripes Ball And Biscuit

  • Tore Down - Rory Gallagher

  • Zz Top - Jesus Just Left Chicago -

  • The White Stripes - 300 M.p.h. Torrential Outpour Blues

  • Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Brush With The Blues By Jeff Beck

  • Angel By Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck

  • Rolling Stones Ventilator Blues Exile Main St.

  • Stop Breaking Down By The White Stripes

  • Red Death At 6:14- B-side Collection 1- The White Stripes

  • Still Got The Blues By Gary Moore

  • You Upset Me Baby By Joe Bonamassa

  • Blues Deluxe By Joe Bonamassa

  • 'Say Goodbye To The Blues ' Walter Trout Band Live Op Ospel. Tribute To Stevie

  • 3 O'clock Blues

  • Red House By Jimi Hendrix

  • Lp- Ball And Chain-- Big Mama Thornton And Lightning Hopkins

  • On The Road Again By Canned Heat

  • The Blues Had A Baby By Muddy Waters

  • Muddy Waters, Marijuana Blues - Champagne And Reeferjavascript:void(0)

  • Robert Cray - Playing In The Dirt Live At The Running Horse Nottingham

  • Dirty City ~ Steve Winwood

  • King, BB With Albert Collins / By King, Bb

  • Albert Collins - Iceman ~ gotta love this tune!~

  • Albert Collins - Lights Are On But Nobody's Home


  • and that's all the songs I've got on it for now! Would you like me to add something to it for your listening pleasure?! Just hollaback!

    9 comments:

    1. So, I wonder if this blinking thing applies to TV as well? If so, no wonder I'm so damned depressed. I'd better give up Formula 1, IRL, NASCAR, NFL, College football, movies, movies, movies, blogging, writing, photography/photoshop and internet exploring. WTF? Now I'm bored to tears. But at least my eyes aren't dry.

      ReplyDelete
    2. hahaha! I was thinking the same thing! LOL

      ReplyDelete
    3. hey Mr. C, just lube those babies, you'll be fine!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wow....don't mind me if I CAMP OUT beside the Pink Pod tonight.....you got everybody who is anybody on there....

      Gary Moore is one of my very favorite players...

      Let's have a ball, sugar.....

      ReplyDelete
    5. Blink! Blink! Blink! That's enough of that. I'll just find sumpthin else to do to keep my eyes from drying out. I could go right away from the screen and do the dishes. NAH! I'll take the dry eyes and the headache. LOL

      ReplyDelete
    6. I've noticed that my eyes get pretty dry AND that I don't blink as much as I normally do when I'm not looking at the screen. Good grief. Just my luck I'll end up needing bifocals or something!! :(

      ReplyDelete
    7. Love the Pink POD, and, being living proof you can teach an old dog new tricks... I now know what all these bloggers who talk about their PODs are talking about. Dang, I oughta get one of those things. But then, what would I do with my 400+ vinyl records and 600+ CDs?

      ReplyDelete
    8. I try to look away from the screen whenever I can. If a page or programme is loading, I automatically look up and, if it's daytime, out of the window. When typing I look at my fingers anyway, so that helps too :)

      ReplyDelete

    I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!