The Invitation...


It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living
I want to know what you ache for and
if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.
It doesn’t interest me how old you are

I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love
for your dreams
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon…
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow
if you have been opened by life’s betrayals
or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain
mine or your own without moving to hide it
or fade it or fix it.
I want to know if you can be with joy
mine or your own
if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us to be careful
be realistic to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see
beauty even when it is not pretty everyday.
And if you can source your own life from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure
yours and mine and still stand on the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after a night of grief and despair weary
and bruised to the bone
and do what needs to be done to feed the love.

It doesn’t interest me who you know or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire
with me and not shrink back.
It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.

I want to know what sustains you from the inside
when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself
and if you truly like the company
you keep in the empty moments.


this poem is by oriah mountain dreamer and is one of my absolute all time favorites, and always worth a repeat performance. I just wanted to let you guys know, that if you loved that poem, "The Invitation" by Oriah Mountain Dreamer, you can read excerpts from that book as well, and/or check out some of her other works from this Google Books online, by clicking here.
Better than Google Books, she has a great website, and in here you can read poems and excerpts from her books. It is a wonderful site, so if you'd like to know more about this author, click here.

17 comments:

  1. that is a beautiful poem extremely stirring poem at that and a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dar! I do love this poem, and keep it tucked in my writing journals. I don't think I had posted it here before, but it needs to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can sit with pain, alright! I can sit with pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there, Mom on Spin, how has your day been?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, when I started reading this, I wanted to write to you and say, "Yes, I can, read my post today..." And then I read further and wanted to write to you and say, "Yes, I can live with pain, and I do," and then I read it again and wanted to write to you and say, "Yes, I long for every corner I turn to be different, open, surprising, even painful, because it means I'm being challenged, I'm alive, and I love it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that doesn't even cover it....dammit....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a no-reply comment address on to your comments, which I just received on my blog....you don't do email?

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I made this post my Diamond Post today in my sidebar....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for introducing me to this poem! So profound and a good reminder of what it means to be ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the poem and thanks for the "stalk" LOL. I'm outta here going to work. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I did email Braja, perhaps I should check my settings somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was exactly what I needed to read today.

    "I want to know if you can get up
    after a night of grief and despair weary
    and bruised to the bone
    and do what needs to be done to feed the love."

    Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bella, you emailed, but you have the 'no-reply comment' on your email, meaning I can't email back. If you like I can tell you how to fix that, it's easy.

    I was inspired by you and Paige to start a Top 3 Posts of the Week category and of course you're in it, at the top of my blog. I really do love this poem...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess you should go ahead and tell me how to fix that, so I can get to it tomorrow because I looked under my blog settings and couldn't find out where. Call me stupid or something...LOL...

    Thanks putting me in the Top 3! I do love this poem myself, it keeps me focused on what's important. Hopefully I'll get this email issue resolved tomorrow, but as of right now, it's late here this slave has to get to bed!

    Goodnite~!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to have to print it out and keep it near my desk.

    And I'm with Braja. I've wanted to respond to your comments on my blog, but your email isn't hooked up to your name. We gotta communicate, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a beautiful poem. One I was not familiar with. Thank you so much for posting poem that was so wonderful I read it twice....

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!