I love instrumentals, and I can't get this tune, "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" out of my mind for some reason~ and I wished this Eddie Rabbit song, "I Love A Rainy Night" would stop playing through my head too! LOL Blame it on this rainy weather, and the fact that I was actually making a new pinkpod of "Rainy Day Tunes"
How many of you like the Allman Brothers? Here's a bio piece out of Rollin' Stone about this band...
The Allman Brothers Band blended strains of Southern music — blues, R&B, country, jazz, and gospel — into a flexible, jam-oriented style that reflected the emergence of the "New South" and set the style for Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band, and countless other Southern rockers. Oddly — or eerily, some would say — the band's unusual string of untimely deaths has been repeated in other Southern-rock bands.
Through personal tragedy and turmoil, the Allman Brothers Band has endured and, though lacking the commercial clout of its early-'70s heyday, the band remains highly respected and well received by legions of fans. To continue reading their bio
click here.
Some think the Allman Brothers were the best "live band" ever. They toured relentlessly and certainly were not without their highs and lows. One of their lowest blows being the death of Duane Allman in October 1971. While riding his motorcycle in Macon, Duane swerved to avoid a truck and lost control of the bike. He died as a result of his injuries. Then even before the band members had a chance to fully recover from this shock, bass guitarist Berry Oakley was also killed in a motorcycle accident on November 1972. Strangely enough, this second accident occurred less than a mile from the scene of Duane's death. Although the surviving members decided to continue with new musicians, many of their fans feared that the original spirit of the band had been lost.
They would have falling outs and reunite several times. I was kind of shocked when Cher and Greg Allman got married because they certainly did not seem compatible to me, did they you? but it was short-lived for 4 years I think. Together they became the parents of a son, Elijah Blue Allman, who later formed his own band, Deadsy. Then there was the drug scandal with their manager. Yep, I guess no band is without their break-ups, drugs, and tumultuous affairs. Anyway, enjoy the video.
Supposedly there was an affair going on I believe was it Dickey Betts? with a married woman ... some think might have been Boz Scagg's wife? and this particular piece was written with her in mind...but who really knows the story behind this great instrumental piece, bloggers?
Is it a rainy in your neck of the woods today, too?

The story I heard was he got the idea from a gravestone in a cemetery where the band members used to hang out and write songs. Now what he was doing there and who with is a guess....lol
ReplyDeleteThis would be the same cemetery where Duane and Berry would be buried.
Great minds run together. The subject of my magazine article in October are the Allman Bros.
S
That proves it! I'm a woman of too many words.
ReplyDelete'Cause it's hard for me to believe that a instrumental song would be written "for" someone.
Sounds like the "memory" was a pleasant one. lol
ReplyDeleteGreat...just GREAT! Now I've got "I Love a Rainy Night" playing in MY head!!
ReplyDeleteNever heard of this group - so now that is remedied... thanks! I like the laid-back music.
ReplyDelete