while working yesterday, I got up to fix a bite to eat, and was trying to get some chicken soup down when I just didn't feel right, having palpitations (paramedics said with a few PVCs), feeling a little short of breath and dizzy, and was having some weird visual effect in my left eye.
While I had an injury to it 10 days ago, which is still healing, along with a few other bruises I was thinking maybe a blood clot ...
Anyway, in the eye I was experiencing a "scintillating scotoma" that was moving over my entire left eye and my right eye was blurry. (that is pronunciation with a "sk" for both "sc's"). If you have ever experienced one of these its quite frightening if you don't know what it is. I used to get this phenomenon once in a while (which I had forgotten about) when I suffered migraines, with projectile vomiting and nasty pain years ago but when I became stronger emotionally from dealing with an ex still causing me a lot of grief, the scintillating scotomas and migraine symptoms abated. The ER doctor said that is what it sounded like to him...
Besides the expenditure which I hate, a trip to the ER and lots of fluids and rest (luckily not a horrible migraine), I feel better, so I'm working a few hours today.
How is everybody doing? It looks to be another hot day here in Appalachia. :( I love the fall, bring it on! :) I'd love to take that train excursion through WV but probably not in my budget right now.
Wow! I hope it wasn't a detached retina. I've heard of that happening sometimes, too. Definitely something that sunglasses won't fix.
ReplyDeletenope, it was a scintillating scotoma as it subsided in about 20-30 minutes. Definitely need an eye exam though for a new pair of glasses. I'll try to get that scheduled.
ReplyDeleteSymptom of an ocular migraine. Mine usually has subtle colors in it and lasts about 15 or so minutes. They didn't start with me until after menopause cured the migraines I used to have. The scariest one happened when I was driving. Now I just close my eyes and breathe deeply until it stops. Preferably when not behind the wheel of the Jeep. LOL
ReplyDeleteyeah, that would freak me out to be driving and have that type of aura :(
DeleteYup...I've been experiencing that since the mid 90s. The first time was damned scary. I seriously thought I was having a stroke and off to the ER I went. With me, it is usually a fluttering and I can't focus. Like you, it last about 20 minutes and usually I just close my eyes in a darkened room. If I'm driving and it is a bad one, I have to pull over and wait it out. Since I'm retired, that doesn't happen very often (while driving, I mean).
DeleteYup, I'm just glad it wasn't a stroke or god forbid something worse ... you never know ... I certainly am not a spring chicken any more! Does yours develop into full blown migraines? nothing more debilitating to ruin one's day.
ReplyDeleteNo, thankfully...knock on wood. But, my wife and oldest daughter have this same condition and their's does. Real;u bad stuff. I feel so bad for them because nothing really helps.
Delete