A Chat with the Ph.D.

Friday afternoon, I took my daughter to talk with a psychiatrist in a neighboring city. He is the head of the department of psychology at Marshall University, and still teaches and deals with neuropsychologic screening and testing. He was very engaging, and will be doing some tests on my teen.

As of yet, I am unable to get her back in school at this point, and frankly I don't expect her to go back; however, in order to complete her 11th grade year and go back as a senior she will have to take a core summer class. I have talked to her for months about trying to get her to see how important it is to finish school and obtain that diploma rather than getting a GED. I know she's capable, (at least I'm hoping the testing reveals she is); I just don't feel her id psyche will allow her to do it.

I know that when you want something bad enough you're willing to go that extra mile to get it, and if she truly wants to graduate back at her old school with her friends then she will get through this year as a junior, whatever that takes. I also know that due to what she has been through it may take her longer than most to realize consequences. She is at risk for behaviors that could potentially pose more problems, and I do realize this as well, so trying to balance her moods and social issues is becoming a tedious task, along with her school work. I personally don't see her putting out a consistent effort. It could be due to the fact that she is up all night, has periods of sleeplessness even with taking psychotropic meds. If she has to have a 504 plan or modifications in order to get that diploma then so be it, that is why the testing is a valuable source.

She hasn't said too much about her Dad, and I hope and pray she is not calling him on the phone at night when I'm asleep. There should be a no contact I would think, but knowing this judicial system here who the hell really knows? I put his crap back in the mail at my expense of a stamp, and I am hoping that the worker at the post office has enough sense to get it to the proper party. Him being out on bond just creeps me out. However, he can't get too far with an ankle bracelet on.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your daughter will be able to get things together for herself and realize what is important for HER and not let other things mess her up to a point that it will negatively charge the rest of her life. Lord knows it sucks the life out of us as parents trying to hold them together on a normal basis...let alone when life and ppl start throwing major stumbling blocks in their way. My prayers are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl, this is my saga, and Lord knows what is next; some days I struggle just trying to fight my own fatigue here, which seems to be unrelenting.

    I love her immensely but it has to come within here, as you said it can suck the life out of parents.

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!