Perils of Birthday Aging...

Photobucket
Emphysema + oxygen + cheap wig + birthday candles = lots of vacancies at Wandering Palms Convalescent Center.

However, I did remember to take off my oxygen! nah, I'm not there yet, thank goodness, but I assume that one of these days I just might, and sooner than I think. Time just seems to whiz by! All you smokers, take heed! Speaking of smoking, I haven't done that in five whole years! and I don't miss it. One of these days I'll tell you all about how hypnosis cured me!


I just realized it has been ages since I sat down to play the piano. My first love was always classical music and I have an extensive collection of piano music books, given to me by my aunt when I was 10 years old I guess. My Baldwin piano needs tuning and a little TLC, as it has been sitting in my livingroom collecting dust mostly.

Ever since my Dad died in 1996 I haven't played that much; I played for him as he loved to hear me play, and we would laugh about the wrong notes I'd hit. It was such a part of our daily routine, as was the morning coffee together. He was my biggest fan and supporter, and probably the only man who truly loved me! I think most girls feel that way about their dads. Out of my five siblings, I was willing to give up my job to care for him. He was blind, had a amputated leg, and I took care of him until he died; him having lived in my home for nearly three years, and my youngest only a year old when he came to live with us, she is now 17. I still miss him.

For a time, I had my piano in storage due to divorce and not being able to house it. I traded in the original hard bench for an antique swivel barber's type of chair which was a lucky find! Speaking of antiques, I have a few nice pieces. Usually I stumble across a good find at the local flea markets. I have a weakness for wine glasses and antique tables, speaking of which I found two bedside square tables with glass blue top inlays last year with a shelf below, no drawer though. I have also refinished a few pieces, boy that's a job but such a reward in the end!

What's your passion? Do you play a musical instrument? Mine used to be playing the piano, so I'll dust it off, play Happy Birthday to myself, one or two of Dad's favorites, and enjoy the day!

How was your weekend?

1 comment:

  1. One of my plans for retirement is to learn a musical instrument.

    I'm not thinking of anything as demanding as a piano though. Maybe more along the lines of a penny whistle or the native flute.

    I'm the only one in our family who doesn't play an instrument. Even my 8 year old granddaughter plays the violin.

    About time I learned, then maybe we could have our own family band!

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!