I love it when I can find that I want. I needed a table, just the right height, not too big, round, and I found it today; however it needs a little TLC, and for 5 bucks it was steal!
as you can see, its octagon, has claw feet, its very sturdy built, cherry I think; however it appears that it sat outside in the rain/weather, which destroyed part of the middle of the top. It has veneer layers, not sure what the original inlay was, however this will need to smoothed out and something else installed.
I was thinking perhaps a piece of glass cut to fit, so I could put family pics underneath it, or tile and grout it with something interesting, cut glass...got any suggestions?


Bella go to
ReplyDeletewww.willsstainedglass.com
he does stained glass in concrete table tops and other concrete things...may give you an idea...
sorry forgot how to get the link in here.....
Bella,
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of a refinish and then a glass top cut to fit. At times like this, I miss my dad. He would have studied the photos and come up with several ideas. Alas, I lack his carpentry/woodworking/handyman skills.
OK...see the side panels that look like windows ??? exactly....
ReplyDeletehave a light put in the bottom of the table..put in a stained glass top and sides......
Oh yes....very nice....should not cost more than say about 3 to 4 hundred dollars...but damn well worth it...what a conversation piece it would be....
Bella:
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of a glass top. Just make sure that it is thick enough with beveled edges.
I'm certainly no wood working specialist, but I have done a few of these things. Can't really tell by these photos but the wood grain looks like it could be mahogany. Sand it down and add a finisher; varnish, poly, oil, whatever your preference, and it should look just fine. A doily and a lamp will take care of the bad spot until you decide what you want to do. Good buy.
ReplyDeleteTab,
ReplyDeletestained glass? nah...but thanks for the link. I was thinking some kind of glass.
Mr. C, it will need a little more work than that, some of the layers of veneer were broken off on the top, so I am going to have to dig those out. Yeah, it probably needs sanded. I might have a glass top put on it due to use. It might have been mahogany, it was nice and sturdy, and I can't pass up a 5 buck deal! LOL
ReplyDeletehey Whit, I like the idea of a glass top too, not sure what I want to put under it. The wood veneer will need fixed below the glass as somebody started peeling layers out, that's why I thought perhaps some inlay before the glass to make sure it evens out.
ReplyDeleteMr. O,
ReplyDeleteMy dad was not a carpenter, nor a mechanic for that matter, my mom was the fixer upper in the family. She fixed bicycles, lamps, whatever needed done.
I was thinking a black glass top linked to a minesweeper software game. If you put your glass down on the wrong spot, one of the side panels opens up and shoots a guest with the ammunition of your choice (real bullets, marshmellows, water balloons, paint balls, etc).
ReplyDeleteSkinny, I think that's a marvelous idea!
ReplyDelete