I was informed by my little granddaughter, BellaRose that the groundhog saw his shadow and there are six more weeks of wintry weather. Really? Seems to me that there would be about six more regardless of the groundhog thing!
Groundhog Day...
I remember my second marriage on this day to John, in the town I grew up in back in 2003, which is only 30 miles west of where I live now. It seems like its another whole lifetime past. John died of cancer in 2006. Ours was a nine-year relationship, and I have to say he was the best friend I ever had. The marriage didn't last, but the friendship did, even after the divorce. He loved my girls, made them his girls, and he loved me unconditionally. If there was a song to commemorate his love for me it would have to be..."I'm everything I am because you loved me...."
The day we got married, Groundhog Day, it was unseasonably warm, about 67 degrees outside. I had a velour floor-length two piece ensemble and I was sweating! He loved me more than I ever deserved looking back; it still tears me up. Dying by cancer is ugly. Watching him wither away for months was worse. He was diagnosed in January with non small cell lung cancer in the late stage.
Spring came that year, he was renewed with hope that he could somehow beat the cancer. He didn't want to leave us, yet unwilling to talk about his feelings, and what he would want should he not survive it. He often came and lounged here at my house because this is where he felt the most comfortable, and he would only have a few short months. I sat with him often even towards the end. I hope I never have to witness that ugliness again. He was gone by August.
So much for a post that started out with spring, died, and is now awaiting a renewal. Yes, a renewal will be a godsend.

And he never went away..really,I remember another one of your post.I'm sending you all my love Bella.
ReplyDeleteSnow blizzarding here.. so definitely at least six more weeks of winter. Perhaps more! Spring will just have to wait...
ReplyDelete