"Drinking steaming hot tea has been linked with an increased risk of esophageal (food tube) cancer, Iranian scientists have found.
The British Medical Journal study found that drinking black tea at temperatures of 70C or higher increased the risk.
Experts said the finding could explain the increased oesophageal cancer risk in some non-Western populations. Adding milk, as most tea drinkers in Western countries do, cools the drink enough to eliminate the risk.....for the full article, click here.
I love hot tea myself, but never did I think it could cause me problems, but like everything else, aren't we to take this with a grain of salt? Give me a little honey instead, thank you.
I just learned that my son has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer and he is only 30ish. He has been having gastroesophageal reflux for a few years, which had worsened. After undergoing recent testing, it was determined that the ulcer is cancer at an early stage. One can imagine that if the stomach acid is constantly coming up to inflame the esophagus it would break down the tissue, thereby over time causing a precancerous or cancerous situation. I have done a bit of research, and pictures are just awful to look at, and not to mention the outlook isn't too good if it is not caught early. I also think of another blogger who is himself fighting this battle. My son is on chemotherapy pills, and will need to see his oncologist back in two months. I am hoping the best for my blog friend, too.
Please, if you or a family suffer with stomach problems, indigestion and/or reflux tell them to talk to their physician, and opt for medical treatment instead of just treating it with over the counter antacids. Esophageal and stomach cancers are one of the fastest rising cancers in the US today. Be vigilent about your health.
Esophageal Cancer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!