Yes this month I have a birthday, but more importantly this picture reminded me to make myself an appointment for a mammogram! March ... madness ... mammogram... makes sense huh?
Do men have anything they really take care of like this? Oh, yes they do. They have their prostates to protect! Yeah, and most don't go for a prostate checkup because they're afraid or appalled by the idea of a gloved hand going into unknown territory?!! ha! However I suppose the same could be said with women who let their twats rot or ignore that boobie lump.
It's really no joking matter that perhaps prostate cancer could be found earlier should males be persuaded to have regular routine checkups thereby avoiding the latent stages of cancer. The fact is prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America, affecting 1 in 6 men. Be a REAL man, and get your prostate checked in your birthday month (esp if you're over 40!).
While men don't know it, they are at risk for breast cancer too, and should be aware of that. When looking for statistics on breast cancer, and I came across this 2008 data.
New cases: 182,460 (female); 1,990 (male)
Deaths: 40,480 (female); 450 (male)
While it seems we are really make strides in the cure of breast cancers, 41,000 deaths a year is still too many. The key is to stop procrastinating! and get 'er done!
Yep, I'll go mash my taters and get that piece of mind. That's my birthday present to self ... life!
What's for dinner? I'm hungry all of a sudden!

oh good Lord. such a serious topic and yet "mashed taters" leaves me cackling and gasping for breath.
ReplyDeleteYou are truly gifted.
I might have some gravy with that too~!
ReplyDeletemmmm mashed taters and gravy!
thanks for stopping by.
Belle:
ReplyDeleteHow right you are! We have a television anchorman here who took time off a couple of years ago for treatment of breast cancer.