In continuing my search for answers about the Sparrow who appeared to me at a time in my life of turmoil and upheaval, I read that there are certain animals who are spiritual totems or are your spirit guide, and this could have been a reminder to me to stand tall, steadfast, and that I would be a survivor, just like the Sparrow.
The sparrow has flourished when other species have failed. It reflects self-worth. If a Sparrow totem has entered your life, ask yourself if you know your own self-worth. The sparrow will show you that even a common little bird can triumph, and I did. I had to reach inside myself, find strength, walk with my head held high in spite of what I was going through.
I found this while researching online...The sparrow is a common song bird that reflects the significance of the common traits we share with others in humanity and life in general. The sparrow does not think of itself as common and will assert itself in life to assure its own survival. The sparrow as a totem reminds you to appreciate your place in the world. Sparrow teaches that you have self-worth. This totem can show up when you are feeling "less-than" as a reminder that you are a valuable player on the planet. It is good to remember that each person has something unique to contribute to the tribe (aka planet?).
I've only had the Sparrow appear to me up close and personal for a couple of weeks everyday, and then it was gone one day; now I know the significance of why. Like I said, I've never had anything so profound happen to me, and probably never will again. I went through several months of intense emotional turmoil up to that happening to me, and for some time afterwards; starting with the death of my father, my teenage daughter leaving the home, and then through a divorce with no close support of anyone around.
If a sparrow shows up:
Remember that it could be a very productive and prolific time..look for the nobility in the most common of things and people, including yourself..Walk with poise, your head held up, eyes straight ahead, showing the world your self-respect and dignity..Your heart is opening more and more to the love you receive and you you're more readily expressing love to others..your energy and vitality are awakening, and you find yourself whistling or singing without even being aware of it.
Call on a sparrow when:
Your dignity and self worth are being demeaned or threatened in some way..you're coming to the end of the hardships and travails you've faced lately..External circumstances seem to be pinning you down in some way and you want to eliminate their grip on you...Your will power has dwindled to some extent and you want to renew it.
There was a meditation exercise associated with this reading literature online, and who knows if it truly works or not. It says your spirit guide has a name possibly. I can't imagine what that would be. If I find out, I'll let yuns know. Its not something one can really judge, meditating to the point of actually meeting another spirit? I've never done that, but it might be interesting to try. Be my luck I'd be so relaxed I would fall asleep immediately. Fascinating to me is the concept of hypnosis as well. Fine line between the two, meditation and hypnosis I would think.
If Sparrow is your Spirit Animal: You have little or no fear of anyone or anything and can hold your own if ever threatened. You're assertive in asking and going for what you want and are clear in refusing what you don't want..You're a survivor, and are quite comfortable wherever you happen to be and wherever you take up residence. Within your considerable humility, you freely express love and joy, which positively affects others who are near. Whenever you have to face a challenge, you do so courageously and never let yourself feel defeated.
Would a spirit guide be an actual animal, or does a spirit guide come in the form of an animal? Who believes this stuff? I guess only those who have had something happen to them? I would not call myself a Christian, I'm not sure there is a heaven or hell, or a real 'god' but I would call myself spiritual, believing in the mystic and forces unseen. I think we've all time traveled, we're just not cognitively aware of it.
(an excerpt from His Eye Is On the Sparrow)
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain
I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me
- Civilla D. Martin
Probably this is what Paul discovered, the sparrow’s guide to true prosperity when he said, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. Indeed its immensely comforting to know that even when times get tough and you get hard pressed on very side, you will not be crushed as God is working behind the scenes. Jesus remarked that are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without God knowing. Even the very hairs of your head are numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Miss B:
ReplyDeleteDon't know nothing about no Sparrow.. Chickens.. I know about chickens.. usually friend chickens. if I had a spirit animal it would probably be a skunk.. my luck.
a skunk? no way Hosea!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I have a totem. It's been a very long time since I was brought so low I wondered if I would survive. I don't remember any unusual occurances or animal sightings back then.
ReplyDeleteThere was the white ermine in the woodpile the first year we moved here, but he appeared after the move so I don't know.
I don't think I've ever seen a white ermine!
ReplyDeleteDon't know about totems. I'm certainly going through some times when I could use one but it will be difficult to tell when it arrives as I'm up close to animals and birds every day. But I do know about meditation. It isn't something you just do. Like anything of real value, it takes a lot of determination and practice. But it's worth it.
ReplyDeleteit does take practice to really meditate. not sure most times I have enough quiet time to myself to even try.
ReplyDeleteI was with a Native American from the Pit River area located South East of Mount Shasta in Northern California.
ReplyDeleteSome how the talk got around to animals and the concept that animals can talk.
He said, "Yeah, animals talk and talk and talk. All they talk about is food, sex, and whose getting into their territory. Pretty boring stuff."
A couple of days passed and he took for walk so I could learn how to hear them. He didn't say it but I felt he was thinking, 'you'll be sorry'.
I learned and he was right.
However I think our woodland friends are better company then some folks and they stick with what they know.
About the only parallel to humans I could make would be the mocking bird, no disrespect intended to our noisy bird but I would say it is the politician of woodland creatures.