so I've been told by my friends. To my grown daughter, I am a cold stone. She feels I hate her, and that word pretty much fell out of my mouth unfortunately. What I said was that I hated her for the drama she had put us through these last 2 to 3 years, her lack of responsibility in working a case plan to get her life in order, get her children back, hold down a job, inability to see that this relationship has been a codependent one enabling both to use/abuse drugs, and doing little to change it. I hate what she has become. I am not the enemy, rather her mother, who loves her and hates her at the same time. There is a fine line between the two isn't there?
She's homeless. I found her in my garage out back knowing full well she is putting her daughter, who lives with me, at risk of removal by Social Services if she 'squats' on my property. Its hard to tell your grown, obviously mentally confused, and physically sick daughter that you don't care where she has to go, she just has to leave your property/residence. Its heartwrenching, after a long day's work. Compassion wants to hold her close and try to fix her even knowing its an impossible task. She tells me she has little time to live anyway, that I'll be glad when she's gone, as she has a cyst on one of her kidneys, if one can even believe what she says. If she were dying, she would involve all of her family members, and we would brave the process with her, but that is not the case, and so I believe it to be an untruth; a ploy for sympathy. No doubt she is sick physically, she is hep C positive due to shared needles. Reality and common sense tells me I cannot forsake her child to help her, an addicted adult child. I wished I had the money to put her in an extensive year-long addiction recovery, or at least pay her rent somewhere just to keep her off the street, but I can't; I don't have the luxury of extra cash. She says she is working everyday with some guy doing odd jobs, she says she is not using, but I found spoons in the garage, wrapped up in a towel. I can't deal with that, no matter the lies she told me about it; not on my property. I am not going to jail for gunk in my garage that doesn't even belong to me.
Its like living a psychological killer movie, destroying families and emotional bonds, and it ends leaving you hanging... wondering....
Lord, give me strength.
Keep her safe.
Keep me sane.
Tonight my heart feels heavy and the tears free fall.
Tomorrow will be a new fuck-o-meter day, we'll see where the pointer goes!
Thanks for listening.
UPDATE:
Not long after I arrived home today (the day after this post 08/24) my daughter in question arrived to my residence with a representative from the local Women's Shelter. It appears that she will be receiving help due to the fact that she is homeless, is in a codependent/abusive relationship and is without family support at this time. Her worker was previously a client there herself, who has taken Rae on as her advocate worker to get her services, and the help she needs, both physically and mentally, and get her back into the real world. Rae seemed happy to finally be able to talk to someone who has been there and turned their negative situation into a positive one, and she is hoping to do the same. My daughter's road is a long one to travel but I do have faith she can do it. My Dad always told us girls that we were made out of tough stuff, and he's right. I am breathing a sigh of relief at the moment. I guess a few prayers didn't hurt either. Thank you, thank you for small miracles, one baby step at a time.

((((Bella)))) I read this and cry...and I have already prayed...oh Bella I wish I had some magic to help your daughter get out of this hell she has chosen. As a former drug addict I know the hell and misery that making these choices bring into your life...I know that after a while you lose your ability to choose and it chooses you. Drug addiction is selfish and knows no boundaries. It makes a person think they are a victim when they are not.
ReplyDeleteYou are right not to believe her lies and to not enable her. You could pay millions of dollars for the best treatment center in the world but it will do no good unless she chooses it.
My mothers heart breaks for your mothers heart tonight. How you must have had your heart torn in two to not be able to hold your daughter in your arms in order to hold your granddaughter close. Your granddaughter comes first and she is relying on you to make her safe. Thank God for you being her angel.
I know how it feels to be lied to like this. It is our living nightmare with my step daughter. She has pulled the being sick and dying thing on us. Always the victim. I know what it means to both love and hate the same person. I know what it means to choose and yet you still feel like the loser. Bella, you are not the loser. You are the hero in your little Bella's life. I pray for the day that your daughter see's you as the hero that you are.
I wish I could say something to make your pain even a little bit less. I am sorry for what you have had to endure. I am thankful for your strength that stood up to her and stood strong for the innocent one.
Please know I am always here to listen. Write me privately if you want. I know you don't really know me and I am just a person in blogland but I do care and I do understand way more than I wish I did.
Tomorrow is a new day. I hope you wake with a renewed strength and a hope that all is not lost. You are an angel and Bella will always thank you for it. Much love and hugs sent your way my friend, XX Lori
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. I don't really know what to say. I agree with Lori though.
I hope things work out. I'll be thinking of you.
x
I'm so sorry. I can only imagine the hell this must be for you, and I hope and pray for your daughter to overcome her addiction. I also selfishly hope and pray I never face the same situation, for I don't know that I would have the strength for it... You did the right thing, to protect the innocent child, 'though it must be hard, too, remembering the innocent child your daughter once was... Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteBella,
ReplyDeleteSeems like you have balls of steel and a head that is screwed on straight as they can be. Hang in there. In all the addict stories I've read, usually things turn around when the user hits bottom and decides to change, not when someone enables them and lets them continue to use/abuse, etc. Standing tall is the best thing you can do, although obviously the toughest. Hopefully the counselor can help your daughter straighten herself out.
Skinny
Hi...glad I found your blog. I think we know each other from blogstream. I appreciate your story. My son is a drug addict so I know some of this behavior. It is the hardest thing to deal with but what choice do we have...I love my son no matter what his illness or state of health but it really takes its toll and he isn't in the situation you described at this time. You are in my thoughts and prayers...and thank you Lori for giving us hope. There are many people like that...former drug addicts.
ReplyDelete