The First Day of Third Grade.

"Mamaw, I had the best day!" she blurted out as she came running from the bus. 

This year has been a lot of change for Bella, now 8, not living with her parents anymore, and being separated from her brother; he lives with his paternal grandparents since January; Bella has lived with me, her maternal grandmother, since April.  She sees her brother weekly but its not the same.  She loves her mother but does not see her much either.  She tells me that she loves her mom but she does not want to live with her mom.  She needs stability and routine, and love mixed with discipline; something she did not get when she lived with her paternal grandparents or with her parents for that matter.

She was really having a hard time back late winter/spring this year being separated from her mother, and mother-in-law and her did not get along; perhaps because mother-in-law did not like my daughter (Bella's mother).  Bella felt constantly picked on and her feelings ignored, while her brother was lavished with attention and could do no wrong in the eyes of her paternal grandparents.  It was awful for her.  In court in March, mother-in-law said she did not want Bella, that she could not handle both of them, and Bella was made a ward of the State.  Bella is not mother-in-law's blood granddaughter; my daughter was married to her son, who is Bella's little brother's father.  She is living here with me as a relative placement, and thank God! moving here was the best thing that ever happened to the kid.  No more of those bad fit-throwing behaviors; she was a different kid.  She was living in such stress out there with her parents and the in-laws. 

Those days are long-gone, but Bella still expresses concern over her brother living out there.  She wants him here with us.  I'm not so sure I could take on a 4-year-old too.  He's a handful, now with bad behaviors himself, terribly spoiled, and still not potty-trained! All summer long he was not put in any type of program to be around other kids his age, just left to run around that nasty house of the in-laws, rip, roarin' and tearin'!  I put Bella in a summer Y camp so I could work at my own expense.  I think it is so important for kids to socialize with other children their age.  Anita (mother-in-law) kept saying how she needed to put Wyatt in daycare a few days a week to be around other kids, but never did.  Unbelievable that both mother and father-in-law are home all day with Wyatt and he runs around in a diaper at 4.  Its shameful.  She says, "Wyatt won't wear his underwear without a fit.." I say, big frickin' deal, you're the boss, you make the rules, not Wyatt!  He could go to HeadStart this fall, which I've told Anita for the past 3 months, but they won't take him in diapers!  Wyatt became her responsibility in January of this year, plenty enough time for a college educated teacher to have potty-trained a 4-year-old...makes me cringe! However, should I really be surprised?  She has never let her grown son really grow up, and she keeps making excuses for him as he sits in a jail cell due to probation violation over drugs?  She obviously is so lackadaisical in consistency if she is even trying at all.  He knows the rules here, and pretty much abides by them when he's here...out at the in-laws there are no rules.  Sad. Bella rarely goes out there anymore and that is her choice.  I usually bring Wyatt here to visit.  Give him to me for a week and he'd be potty trained!

Before the bus came this morning there was a discussion about what to do in case the bus brought her home and I was not there yet from work.  I told her not to worry, that I would always be there on time if possible, but the car could tear up or traffic could be backed up, any number of things, but it was important for her not to panic or get upset.  The school bus driver would know what to do, and the school would call someone on the contact list if I was not available, and I would see her as soon as I could. 

I have a meeting on September 1st, a review of this case, and if all goes well, Bella will become a permanent placement here with me.  I sure hope so.  I can't imagine her with anybody else. I'm the only person who has been in her life from day 1, outside of her mother. 

Seeing that smile on her face at the end of her first day of school made my day!  All that nervousness she had about a new school just vanished. 

Tonight was open house, and her teacher is wonderful! We are going to have a stellar year! The prinicipal already knows her on a first-name basis!  Yep, its back to homework, projects, and an early bedtime with hugs and an I love you tuck in!

speaking of which...I'm outta hea!

3 comments:

  1. Bella,
    Really interesting post. It's amazing the effect a stable home has on a kid, and the contrast with an unstable home. Sounds like you've done a wonderful job with Lil Bella. (I put the lil in cause it feels weird to address you as Bella and mention lil Bella as Bella too.) On the other hand, if her brother is still not potty trained at 4, he's in line to be tormented by the other kids if he goes to preschool or kindergarten.
    Skinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Skinny, you are so right. Wyatt just refuses to potty says father-in-law today when I talked to him on the phone checking on Wyatt. I told him Wyatt will get tired of wearing dirty wet underwear and clothing, and he will eventually learn to go. I told him if he is purposely soiling his clothing then he needs to wear them a little longer instead of changing 10x a day! He needs consequences. Talk about hard headed and lazy! LOL...Gotta keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears spring easily to my eyes as I read this the first time and again the second. You know this hits home for me. My hearts screams at the insanity of it all and yet for some this is just normal. I am so thankful that you have your sweet Bella there with you. You can see the sweetness in her beautiful eyes. I am quite sure that it is heaven living there with you.

    Yet my heart cries for this little boy. The poor little guy knows no better and with no rules or boundaries that show him that he is safe and taken care of, how can he succeed?

    I instantly want to say take that little boy and get him out of there, but that is unfair of me when I don't know your whole situation and circumstances....and yes it is a lot of work and committment. And yet I want to say I think you could do it. No, I know you could. It is a wonder what a whole lot of love and discipline can do to turn a little boy around.

    Do I say this because this is what I've done? Maybe. Or do I say this because my heart crys for every single one of these children that find themselves in such situations. So fucking unfair. Sorry for the language but sometimes it makes me so flipping angry at the injuctices that children endure.

    This post makes me both so happy and sad. I am going to pray that your grandson finds his way to a safe and loving and healthy home soon. I am glad that he has you to come to each week so that he knows that there is something different. Sending you hugs & love my friend, Lori

    PS Please do not think that I judge you in the least for not taking him. I just want you to know that if you have considered it but your fears of not being able to handle an unruley 4 year old stops you, that just maybe with help you could do it. XX

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!