I don't think too much about my keyboard until it sticks, or tears up, and I've been known to wear the key letters off a few keyboards in my line of work as a transcriptionist over a period of 10 years. Family who have to hunt and peck are out of luck when it comes to looking for letters on my keys! I've also seen the newer development of more ergonomically designed keyboards over the years to reduce possible injuries related to the wrists from carpal tunnel syndrome from occupations such as mine.
I do spend a lot of time at my keyboard typing, not so much in the last few months, but when you type on one for 8 hours in your job for many years, or you repetitively use one everyday, you should really be concerned about what kind of keyboard you are using. When I bought my HP it came with a Microsoft Natural keyboard which was split. I loved it! Every since the design came out many years ago with split right and left hands I started using this kind of keyboard. Even switching from an older split keyboard to my new Microsoft one took adjusting to.
When my keyboard stopped working due to probably all those potato chips and cracker crums, and not to mention a few spills accidentally, I was subjected to using a straight keyboard and I thought I would die! I could not type on that thing if my life depended on it. It is whatever you get used to, but beware! You might be causing yourself problems down the road. I know on a regular keyboard my fingers seemed really squished together, and talk about having to slow down to type! geeze Louise! I guess if I ever got a laptop I would have to either attach my own keyboard cause I don't think they even come with a split keyboard!
Anyway, if you haven't tried a softer, more ergonomic keyboard such as a natural split keyboard, I suggest you try one, and in the long run your hands/wrists will thank you! I know I've been typing like a madwoman for 10 years now, and I have been injury-free of carpal tunnel signs or symptoms. Be preventative. Be smart.

I will have to check out that HP keyboard; sounds like a good one. Thankfully I have not been subject to carpal tunnel yet which is a good thing :) these days with doing more editing, less stress on the wrists
ReplyDeleteI too have worn out keys (m,n especially) isn't that weird??
Happy New Year!
betty
I've worn quite a few letters off my keyboard, too; my husband and daughter complain about it all the time. Now I know what to tell them: if you hate my keyboard so much, get me one of those new ergonomic split keyboards, with all the letters on it! Maybe I'll end up with one for my b'day, and improve my typing speed and comfort. :)
ReplyDelete