I stumbled across this story obviously written by a family man, and I laughed my A off! written by the *unknown* blogger, here goes the tale...
My daughter, wife, and I went out to Wal-Mart recently, shopping for the essentials: soap, shampoo, toilet paper, aspirin, and lube. After a half-hour of shopping, we found everything on our list except for the personal lubricant. My wife and I scoured the pharmacy aisles in search of it, but came up empty. As you can imagine, neither of us had the courage to go up to the customer service counter and ask them, "Where do you keep the joy jelly?" So we abandoned our effort.
Later that day we had to go out again, this time to the local K-Mart. As I was passing by the pharmacy aisle, I broke off from our little troop and started "reconning" for the lubricant. I soon found the spermicide and the condoms, so I knew I was in the right place. And then I saw it. There on the shelf it sat, my grail. Actually it was a box, a box small enough for me to palm in my hand. I looked at it, I looked past it. I walked up the aisle like I was browsing for Q-Tips. Then I walked back down the aisle and grabbed it. The reach for, and the subsequent grasp of that product was such an artistic display of sleight-of-hand that even David Copperfield would've gone "Whaaaa??? How'd he do that!?!?"
With the goal in hand (so to speak), I caught up with my wife and daughter, all the while carefully palming the little box so I was able to keep it out of sight from my daughter, other shoppers, K-Mart personnel, and God.
Of course, this is where the story gets blogworthy.
We live only a mile or two from the Big K, and shop there often -- as do our friends, co-workers, neighbors, my daughter's teachers, waiters and waitresses at various restaurants we frequent, our bank teller, and the town mayor. Everyone shops there. YOU probably shop there. Needless to say, I'm in stealth mode when I give a quick wink and tell my wife, "Mission accomplished."
It's a Saturday, early afternoon, and K-Mart is crowded. People are lined up five deep in each checkout line. The three of us are standing in line, and when my kid asks if she can buy a pack of Skittles, I agree. She could've had a case of Skittles, as long as it would not draw attention to my purchase.
Finally, we're at the cashier. She starts ringing up our various items. She slides the notebook paper over the scanner, ping, then the Doritos, ping, then the 12 pack of Coke, ping, the instant grits, ping, the Skittles, ping, then the small box ...
No ping. Nothing.
She slides the box over the scanner again, still no ping. The cashier then breaks out into this wild arm flailing product-to-scanner shuffle slide in search of the missing ping. Now, Leslie whisks my daughter away to the car, shielding her eyes from the horror. I'm alone in the checkout line that is now seven deep and counting, waiting while the skilled K-mart cashier tirelessly tries to ring up my wretched little box of perv. OK, it's only lube, but the lady behind me is looking at me as if I'm going to try and sex up her cat. Sweat is dripping from my face.
Finally a light goes off in the cashier's head, she breaks down and enters the UPC numbers manually into the cash register. Still no Frost-ing ping! She re-enters the numbers. NO PING!!! She calls over the manager, hands the box over to said manager who then proceeds to go through the wild-shuffle, UPC number entry routine. Still no ping. For some reason this item is not in the store's computer. The manager calls over to the pharmacy, asking the pharmacy clerk to give her a price on the item's UPC code. Apparently, the pharmacy clerk is in on this little conspiracy because she asks the manager for the NAME of the product.
"Doctor Love's Root Beer Flavored Jam Jelly," says the manager. (I don't recall the exact name.)
"Doctor Love's Root Beer Flavored Jam Jelly?" the pharmacist repeats.
"Yes, Doctor Love's Root Beer Flavored Jam Jelly," says the manager, taking care to emphasize each syllable for the benefit of those at neighboring registers.
"Please hold."
So now the manager is on hold, looking at me all slyly like "Yeah, I'd do ya." The lady behind me is horrified, the teenager behind her is snickering like Beavis, and the rest of line is looking at me like I'm holding up their heart transplant. Vomi-Nervousa!
Finally, said clerk gives the manager the proper UPC code. The manager overrides the cash register and inputs the price. She apologizes for the delay and explains that the box has a 20 cents off offer on it, and that the computer didn't recognize the cost difference.
"I went through all that for 20 CENTS?!?" I wanted to scream, but of course I paid for my purchase, and picked up my bags humiliated. But just as I was about to walk away, I looked at the cat lady, half-smiled, and confidently said, "It'll be worth every penny."
Oh yeah, I'm laughing! I had a similar experience at K-Mart here in Australia. I'd been on a holiday visiting my girlfriend who lives in another state, and took lots of happy snaps. On one of the occasions she flashed her boobs at me while I was taking pictures. It was very subtle, just a quick lift of the top, and a come hither smile. Never one to miss an opportunity I took a couple of photos.
ReplyDeleteNow, with the long distance thing and all, it's nice to have a few reminders, you know how it is. So off I headed to the K-Mart self serve photo printing kiosks with a memory stick of carefully selected holiday pics. It was my weekend with the kids, so I left them in the Lego isle.
I popped in the memory stick and clicked print all, 'cos I figured this way I wouldn't get caught with nudie pics while scrolling through making selections. There were twenty-two photos in all.
I happily watched the machine chugging out photos and counting along as it went. 15..16...17..18.. At this point my kids showed up "Hey, we're bored, are you nearly finished? Oh! Can I grab the photos as they come out?" 19...20.. KLUNK!
At this point I frantically flicked through the already printed photos.. was the boob picture before the one of her having a cup of tea, or after? errr..!? And over comes the shop assistant.
"Is there a problem sir?" At this point I'm bright red, trying to shove two kids behind me away from the stack of photos, and contemplating kicking the machine to see if that gets the last two photos out. But of course I say "Oh, the machine seems to have jammed". And now I'm sweating. And there is a que of people forming, and of course like rubber-neckers driving past an accident scene, they all wanted to know what the heck was going on.
"Well lets have a look and see what the problem is.." she said. I gulped.
As the front of the photo kiosk came off I nearly laughed. The sort of laugh that says "oh get me the f*#k out of here". My kids were watching and half the patrons of K-Mart were watching as the door came open and there, twisted with a mess of tangled gloss laminate, was the photo of my girlfriend's boobs, proud as punch, for all to see. And wouldn't you know it? The shop assistant wasn't qulified for the task. "Oh, I've never seen it do that before, I'll have to get my manager to have a look" and off she trooped, leaving me with the machine and all the onlookers. My eldest son looked at the machine quizically and asked "Where did you take that photo?" "Um. Perth." I squeaked.
As I was standing there, while the manager kindly untangled the machine and re-printed my remaining three photos, my mobile rang, of course. It was my girlfriend. "Hey, how you doin'?" she asked. "I'll call you back" I said.
LOL thank you for the laugh Bella!I hope your Christmas was great!
ReplyDeleteDaniel,up there,lol!That's a story you could tell at the party!Just kidding!;)
I also like the new look on the blog!
ReplyDeleteWell, as long as it was root beer flavored
ReplyDeleteI was temporarily distracted by the man in the check out line ahead of me...!!
ReplyDeleteoh...anonymously forest walking...just so you know, on account I have none.
ReplyDelete