What Do You Want For Christmas?

I wanta Hoola-Hoop!

Most of us watched some Alvin and the Chipmunks, or our kids did. This animated group was created by Ross Bagdasarian, Sr. in 1958. The group consists of three singing animated chipmunks: Alvin, the mischievous troublemaker, who quickly became the star of the group; Simon, the tall, bespectacled intellectual; and Theodore, the chubby, impressionable sweetheart. The trio is managed by their human father and confidant, David Seville. In reality, David Seville was Bagdasarian's stage name, and the Chipmunks themselves are named after the executives of their original record label, Liberty Records: Alvin Bennett (the president), Simon Waronker (the founder and owner), and Theodore Keep (the chief engineer). This is the original version for TV.



"Christmas, Christmas time is near
Time for toys and time for cheer
We've been good, but we can't last
Hurry Christmas, hurry fast
Want a plane that loops the loop
Me, I want a hula hoop
We can hardly stand the wait
Please Christmas, don't be late."


The Chipmunks first officially appeared on the scene in a novelty record released in late fall 1958 by Bagdasarian (creator of the Chipmunks). The song, originally listed on the record label (Liberty F-55168) as "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)," featured the singing skills of the chipmunk trio. One phrase in the chorus has Alvin wishing for a hula hoop, which was that year's hot new toy. The novelty record was highly successful, selling more than 4 million copies in seven weeks, and it launched the careers of its chipmunk stars. It spent four weeks at Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart from December 22, 1958 to January 12, 1959. It also earned three Grammy Awards and a nomination for Record of the Year.

How many of you had a Hoola-Hoop?! I did but mine didn't come that early, it was in the mid 1960s! There's an art to keeping the Hoola-Hoop going isn't there?! I wished I had one in the house, I'd try that again just to see if I could do it.

4 comments:

  1. LOL--great minds work alike, Miss B! You, me and Moonstone have all been posting Chipmunks stuff! I loved 'em when I was little and actually haven't outgrown them!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. its so funny...my 7 year old can hoola hoop...i got no chance, just cant get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol,thanks for sharing!Yes I did that was a long time ago!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must have about five hula hoops around the house! The kids are good at it... but I can't...

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!