Here's Eddie Cochran performing "Milk Cow Blues" 1960, shortly before his fatal car crash. This version of "Milk Cow Blues" was way ahead of it's time. Pictures taken from the Internet, and the audio track was cleaned before making the video. Long live the memory of Eddie Cochran. I hope you enjoy.
Makes me want some Oreos and cold milk!
Do you know who the original belongs to? No? Well, keep reading...
The song, Milk Cow Blues, was written by James (Kokomo) Arnold and released sometime from 1934 to 1938. Kokomo was part of the Prohibition in bootlegging...probably the backbone of most of these old country blues tunes no doubt. From his first recording for Decca on September 10, 1934 until his last on May 12, 1938, Arnold made eighty-eight sides, seven of which remain lost. Along with Peetie Wheatstraw and Bumble Bee Slim, he was a dominant figure in Chicago blues circles. His major influence upon modern music is, along with Peetie Wheatstraw, upon the seminal delta blues artist Robert Johnson, a musical contemporary. Johnson turned "Old Original Kokomo Blues" into "Sweet Home Chicago", while another Arnold song, "Sagefield Woman Blues", introduced the terminology "Dust my broom", which Johnson used as a song title himself. As you can see, most of these early blues tunes were recreated along the way by various artists. As with this tune,
there are lots of variations.
Here are the original lyrics~
to hear the original recording by Arnold, click here.
Well, I woke up this morning and I looked out the door.
I can tell that that old milk cow, I can tell the way she lowed.
Well, if you see my milk cow, please drive her on home.
'Cause, I ain't had no milk or butter since that cow's been gone.
Well, I tried to treat you right, baby, day by day.
Get out your little prayer book, get down on your knees and pray.
For you're gonna need, you're gonna need my help some day.
Well, then you're gonna be sorry for treating me this way.
Sail on, sail on, sail on, milk cow, sail on.
Sail on, sail on, sail on, milk cow, sail on.
You're gonna keep right on to sailing 'til you lose your happy home.
Well, good evening, don't that sun look good going down?
Well, believe me, don't that sun look good going down?
Well, don't that old moon look lonesome when your baby's not around?
Well, I tried everything to get along with you
I'm gonna tell you what I'm going do
I'm gonna quit my crying, I'm gonna leave you alone
If you don't believe I'm leaving You can count the days I'm gone
You ain't gonna see me, you ain't gonna see my sweet face no more.
Lord, you gonna be wondering, honey, where in this world I've gone.
In fact, I could have sworn Sleepy John Estes wrote this song first, but he just sang it. God knows there were tons of others who sang it, and who changed the tempo, to include The Kinks, Elvis Preslty made a "Rockabilly" version, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eric Clapton, for Aerosmith's Steven Tyler's version click here. , and the song was also done by Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, The Pirates, Doc Watson, Roy Lee Parnell, Eddie Cochran...and the list goes on...
However, I hafta say, I loved Eddie's version and Aerosmith's, but I enjoyed this country blues version by George Strait, too!
Yes, having seen the George Strait version live several times, HIS is my favorite of the versions. He sells the song.
ReplyDeleteS
I'll take Kokomo, thank you very much.
ReplyDelete