Happy Chanukah

Growing up boheman Baptist, lol...I never knew much about the Jewish faith, perhaps because we had no exposure to such living in a tiny rural community, but I had a girlfriend who dragged me to her Penticostal 'holy roller' church which I must say was quite rowdy compared to the Baptist scene. Just like most religions there are levels of faith, some aspects of Jewish fundamentalism I feel would be hard to follow considering the times we live in; however, some would argue that organized religion as a whole is bunch of malarkey and most are just cults. I was never one to judge those who practice any faith and as an adult I don't know what I believe anymore.


I have come to learn that there is a custom associated with the lighting of the Menorah.  What's a menorah, you say? Yeah, that's what I said the first time I was introduced to the word.  Supposedly the menorah must be kindled in a way that it can be seen outside, by the largest number of passers-by. This means at your doorstep, in your big picture window, etc., in other words, be proud of your faith!  When we kindle Chanukah lights, we help each other remember God's miracles and kindnesses; the same could be said with various faiths.

It's not enough to illuminate one's own home with the lighting of a Menorah and warmth of Torah (Holy Book for Jews) or for Baptists a "nativity scene" based from the Bible (King James Version) and the lighting of a Christmas tree, or whatever your particular religion dictates, but it is also necessary to illuminate the neighborhood and community at large with love and kindness.  Whether you are Jewish or not, and I'm not, all the good vibrations of the season should surely will rub off!

Besides, I love the idea of 8 days of merriment with such traditions as lighting the menorah, blessings, exchanging gifts and enjoying treats cooked in grease?! Yeah, I love potato pancakes!

8 comments:

  1. nice post. i like the thought of the light illuminating all those around us...and in our neighborhoods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian! nice of you to stop by. A little spirits help add to the illuminating season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fact that you took the time to learn about another faith.

    It's true that there are many of us who don't know what we believe anymore, but the lights and the spirit are kind of contagious . . .now aren't they???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, most definitely! and a little spiced eggnog don't hurt either! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you learned about a belief different from your own. I was brought up Catholic but really didn't believe. For some years I didn't believe in anything. And then I took part in various churches when I was soul searching for what I believed. Often times, I believed just because I was told to believe. In my desire to be accepted I followed. I have many good memories at those different places of belief.I find beauty in each one of them but for me none of them were the answers.

    In the end, going through tough times taught me what I believed. What I believe now, doesn't fit into any of those boxes so I'm out. Stepping out of the box of organized religion is actually freeing. I do miss some of the things associated with those other religions though. I like this idea of lighting a menorah to show that you are proud of your faith. And whats not to love about 8 days of merriment? :) XX Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. The world needs as much warmth and light as it can get...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like I said to Leah,it is a really nice tradition I think.Also what a stunning picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post, some lovely comments too.

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!