Softly Comes The Evening...


Once upon a time, I sat on my porch to soak in the dreamy warmth of a beautiful Spring evening. Queued by my presence, Twilight summoned the soft croon of a melody in the distance orchestrating a magnificent exodus of the weary Sun. There were no lines in this particular production, no need for dress rehearsals and costume changes. Patrons, such as I, were encouraged to discard any worry of missing a vital scene. And so I complied...

I felt mellow breezes dancing freely among loose tendrils, the warmth of a teacup cradled between my palms and the fluttery tickle of a delicate cotton skirt against my leg. I could hear the flutter of wings, the scurry of a fuzzy-tailed friend against rigid bark, the tinkle of chimes from the backyard. I could smell a land reborn, rich dark soil and air weighted by the promise of rain. My eyes mused silently at the amazing way muted hues eagerly bloomed as shadows were cast in the eventide - soft ginger among green leaves, delicate blushes of cherry blossoms, golden glows against earthy silhouettes...

...and before night would begin its reign, I smiled my secret smile.





 

The warm sun broke through the clouds. Tired and heart racing I leaned the old chair on it's back legs and sat. No sooner had I caught my breathe when a turkey hen tip toes through dry leave as quiet as smoke.

She stopped for an instant sensing. So still in her earth tone and iridescent tail feathers, she was almost invisible.

A bead of sweat rolled of my cheek as I watched her move athletic grace, down past a sprawling Madrone tree.

A breeze took my thoughts with its passing and in the distance a Tom clucked for his hen.

posted by capananda

2 comments:

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!