Full Blown Panic

Photobucket

I am sure most of you heard stories of people who have had panic attacks, maybe you know someone, or perhaps you have them.  What causes panic attacks?  Anxiety, stress, I guess any number of factors.  I can only remember having one panic attack my whole entire life and that was when I was going through a divorce and custody battle; I was in my doctor's office breaking down from all the stress.  It was a scary thing, panic. Of course he recognized what was happening and took steps to ensure that I did not go into a full blown panic attack. 

Panic attacks can occur out of the blue, which was the case with my eldest daughter this morning.  She didn't seem to be visibly upset emotionally but the first sign she had was uncontrollable shaking (or trembling), which after a few minutes escalated into rapid shallow breathing, then she complained her throat was closing off and/or she felt like she was going to pass out, have a seizure, stroke or something.  I had never witnessed such an episode up close and personal.  I felt helpless to watch her as she had no control whatsoever.   I know that both she and hubby a week ago were going through Suboxone withdrawal, and I thought perhaps she was going through something related to that, but after the attack, she assured me that she never had these type symptoms with drug withdrawal; she should know.

She became so very scared with all the symptomatology she was having, thinking she was going to pass out or die and wanted me to dial 9-1-1.  She was trembling uncontrollably, both her legs and arms, and entire body.  She was trying to drink a glass of water but couldn't even hold the glass.  I talked calmly to her, reassuring her that I thought it was a panic attack and that she would be okay.  I tried to get her to slow down her breathing, but the trembling/shaking was awful.

After calling 9-1-1 I told her to go into the living room and try to calm herself by lying down on the couch, gave her a blanket, and told her to once again focus on slowing down her breathing (in through the mouth, out through the nose slowly), and I tried to distract her with turning on the television.  After a few minutes, she finally improved and said she thought she was going to be okay, so I asked her if she wanted me to cancel EMS and she said yes, that she wanted to go home; however she was still in no shape to drive and complained of dizziness.  I called mother-in-law and told her what was going on, and she came and picked her up, driving the Jeep back home.

Funny thing, I don't even know what brought on this panic attack, other than her being stressed financially, as she had come by to use the phone.  She (aka Griszelda Mess) has never been diagnosed with a panic disorder.  She is continuing to be another source of worry for me here lately.  I wished that hubby of hers (aka Lord Spoiled) would straighten his ass up and take care of his family proper.

In other news, 'baby' did call today and I was sooo relieved to hear his voice.  He is having a hard time right now with stressors, I told him to join the crowd, that nothing ever changes here in Appalchian hell!   He said he was delayed in getting the money to me, but it was coming express mail, I was relieved, not so much because of the money but because he was allright.  I was getting worried.

As far as the car, baby told me to talk to Walter to make sure there was no transmission issue before we proceed to put a motor in.   Wouldn't that be a crock? Fix the motor and then the transmission blow up? That would be my luck...but God won't let that happen. Say it won't be so.

2 comments:

  1. I was sorry to hear of your daughter's panic attack. I can scarcely imagine anything worse for the time they are happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Snowbrush. She was okay eventually; just a little freaky to watch and try to get her to gain control.

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!