Dirt Poor
The other day, I was reminded of the luxuries that most of us take for granted.
I was typing a psychological report and the lady was describing a claimant who had come in applying for disability due to psychological reasons.
In describing his appearance, the psychiatrist used the word filthy more than once, as well as malodorous. She said his clothes were filthy, and from her description it was apparent she was a bit uncomfortable with his appearance, and with the stench that filled the room. However he was polite during the interview as he relayed his story and his symptoms. As the interview progressed it became apparent to her why he was so filthy and disheveled, as he had no running water or electricity, and slept for nearly 14 hours every day.
He told her that he had bought this little house on E-Bay moving across the U.S. to live in a cabin in West Virginia. He had the promise of starting over in a new place, almost a year earlier after a divorce, only to now have no income, on Food Stamps, and inability to hold down a job due to posttraumatic stress disorder. His PTSD came as a result of seeing someone murdered in his home, by someone he had trusted and let move in. He was awaiting court proceedings as a witness however was fearing for his own life.
It just got me to thinking how fragile life is. We just never know what is around the corner for us, do we? Fragility and circumstances can turn our lives upside-down.
Just when I get to feeling sorry for myself and my daily struggles, I forget that I have much to be thankful for, and that includes running water and a job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No...there are no certainties about life. You could wake up one day and life seems as usual then one misstep by you or someone else around the corner and it is all changed. Everytime I see a life flight helicopter I say outloud, Someone's life just changed today in a major way.
ReplyDelete