Today I received news...


 


that my 2-1/2 year old grandson is deaf with limited hearing only in the right ear (100% deaf in the left ear) which daughter was told is equivalent to plugging up your own ears and then talking...he hears muffled speech...I don't know all the details ... we are just all trying to deal with the news.  I had suggested she seek advice because his speech was delayed and/or not understandable and with a sister nearly 4 and talking all the time, he should have picked up speech easily.  I suspected he needed speech therapy but come to find out he is deaf, which explains the speech issue.  She also told me that he also has staring spells, some type of seizures, and was seen in the ER a couple of times for them.  They are not treating him for seizures right now since he is so young.  I am trying to process the news, as we are all, and will begin to research after I get all the facts from daughter.  I told her not to worry, that we will deal with this as a family, and do what needs to be done.  Connor is such a sweet kid, always was quiet but all boy...rambunctious, has way too much energy! He is only still when he is sleeping... I call him 'my little buddy' ... at this age he has been reading lips more than likely.  Going to see a neuro-otologist to see if any hearing aid or cochlear implant may be on help in that one ear Oct 5th.  Whatever it takes for him to flourish, we will conquer it with him!

4 comments:

  1. Bella. It's so painful when these things hit home, and it's difficult to see your way through. But it seems like you guys have a strong vision for taking its care. Keep us in touch with progress. Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Mooner :) good to see ya. Our kiddo has an appt the 5th so we should know whether a hearing aid or cochlear implants might work for him to bring the ability to hear more clearly enough to start working with him on speech. I've been doing my homework...next step a neuro-otologist!

      Delete
  2. Seems to me that you are taking the right steps to further enrich the lad's life. And notice I say "further enrich". There is an active mind behind those eyes, of that there can be no doubt.
    I'll try to get back by a bit more often than I have been doing. Best of everything to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Mr. O, long time no see. Hope all is well. Its possible that cochlear implants might be an option, or even perhaps a hearing aid ... I've made some calls and done my homework, and there is a program through Marshall University for parents and the kid. :) He's got an appt coming up the 5th, so we'll know more about the situation.

      Delete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!