Stone Cold Thoughts on a Frosty Morn...

 


Many a winter mornig in my youth I would board the school bus only to find magnificent designs of frost stretching across the bus window pane obstructing my view of the monotonous route as the bus rolled onward.  Others seemed obliviuos to the beauty and would scrape at their window, but I loved the frosty view. They seemed to glow with the break of sunlight or car lights and the bitter cold outside.  I thought how miraculous that this beautiful fern-like imagery had been formed in the dark of night.  How could such beautiful forms be born during such a winter-cold night?

As I've gotten older I think about how life is kind of like that.  How we can remain in shadows, live in what often feels like a barren and cold winter for years, so unaware of the miracles being created in our own spirit.  It takes the sudden daylight, some unexpected surprise of life, to cause our gaze to look upon a simple, stunning growth that has happened quietly inside us.  Like frost designs on a cold winter's window, we see beyond life's fragmentation and realize we are not as lost as we might have thought we once were; that all the time we thought perhaps we were dead and barren like the cold of winter, beautiful things were born inside us.

How is everybody out in blogland?  Is there life out there? 

5 comments:

  1. Good to know there are beautiful things a bornin' within you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Jonas, how's life in the windy city?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I was just discussing a similar theme with my son this evening. You can be in the shadows for years and not know it. Suddenly a door opens and light floods in, someone nudges you out into the brilliance of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and you know I almost called you "Candy" LOL... :)

      Delete
  4. hey Nancy, so good to see you here. How are you doing these days? I have to admit I don't get in here too much; its other interests and work is still sucking the life out of me...:)

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!