Well, they changed our insurance this year to Aetna; the best I could select out of the offered options was 80/20 with a $2000 deductible. Our new insurance coverage started in September. I didn't realize that I would have to pay a $2000 deductible if I had any healthcare costs this year, but it appears that the deductible starts again in January.
Facing these bills I wondered financially how I would come up with $2000 bucks? Make payments for 45 years? LOL. Well when I learned I had gallbladder disease which was causing all of its evil problems, I had to have an ultrasound; had a prior chest x-ray a few months ago after the new insurance took effect, and that bill was a whopping 500 dollars and then the ultrasound it was 800; Yes this is after my insurance paid diddly squat. I found out that my deductible had to be met, so I contemplated putting off surgery until January but it had been too long now. So next was the surgery. Want to guess the cost of that robot assisted cholecystectomy?
Price tag: $14,000; this was not an overnight stay, just a check-in at 9:15 for outpatient surgery; kept waiting till nearly 11:30 before I even got it done, and then home by 4 PM. Yep, that's a whopper of a bill racking up.
I decided when I had the ultrasound done that I would apply for financial aid at the local hospital which is also the place I got the ultrasound done as well. I was sweating bulllets waiting for hear if I was approved for a percentage off and today I got the best Christmas present given to me this year!
I was approved for 100%, which means everything my insurance does not pay, the hospital will write it off. Talk about a happy camper today, yep! I'm not sick any more and I won't have the thousand dollar expenses, the best Xmas present ever! and this runs consecutively for 2 years, which means if I have any other procedures or surgeries or whatever, I won't have to worry about a bill. Wonderful news, eh?

I am so glad it all worked out for you -- like a real Christmas miracle! I wish you all the best for a healthy and happy year in 2013!
ReplyDeletethanks grrrrrrl you too!
ReplyDelete