Latin meaning “The things wanted, needed, or necessary. Things which are desired.”
The common myth is that the
Desiderata poem was found in a Baltimore church in 1692 and is centuries
old, of unknown origin. Desiderata was in fact written around 1920
(although some say as early as 1906), and certainly copyrighted in 1927,
by lawyer Max Ehrmann (1872-1945) based in Terre Haute, Indiana. The
Desiderata myth began after Reverend Frederick Kates reproduced the
Desiderata poem in a collection of inspirational works for his
congregation in 1959 on church notepaper, headed: 'The Old St Paul's
Church, Baltimore, AD 1692' (the year the church was founded). Copies of
the Desiderata page were circulated among friends, and the myth grew,
accelerated particularly when a copy of the erroneously attributed
Desiderata was found at the bedside of deceased Democratic politician
Aidlai Stevenson in 1965.
Whatever the history of Desiderata, Max Ehrmann's prose is inspirational, and offers a simple positive credo for life.
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

I have always loved that and I am so glad you posted it! Good words to keep close to your heart always. It's always relevant.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have been under some stress related to my daughter wanting custody of her daughter back, who has been living with me for 3 years. I am confused really on what I should do. Its hard to want to deny your daughter and have to fight; it messes up that mother/daughter/granddaughter bond. I keep telling myself its not my fault, nor the granddaughters but choices my daughter made and still continues to make to be on methadone; to me that's still a drug and until she can maintain a stable home without drugs or being evicted for not paying bills can she have Isabella back. She in on her high horse because she got custody of her son back, as we all know Social Services doesn't know the whole story; nor do they truly know the dysfunction.
ReplyDeleteIt looks to me like all you can do is present the bare, hard facts to social services (use crayons if yours is like ours) should the need arise.
ReplyDeleteOne thing is dead certain in all of this: Your granddaughter needs you to keep her safe and sound and secure until her own mother can do it. Who else could do it better? Take care of your Spirit, so that you can present a secure face for your granddaughter. We have to stand up for those we love sometimes---even if we have to go against someone else that we also love. Especially to protect the youngest and most vulnerable.
There's lots to ponder after reading Desiderata. My greatest challenges? To not be cynical about love. And to ever and always strive for happiness.
ReplyDeleteMy challenges pale a bit before yours. You carry heavy burdens. I wish you well. But...I gotta say...I think you're the sort who'll find her way through to "greener grass." Keep on keepin' on!
hey Jonas, I think I've grown a little cynical myself...right now just trying to find some joy in the stress of it all, thanks for the pep talk!
DeleteI am made of strong stuff, otherwise I would have buckled years ago. Always a pleasure to talk with you. Greener grass? I don't know about that, personal love will be a rarity...
ReplyDelete