this rash has a name...



Yes folks, I never thought in a million years that I would come down with a case of shingles.

I woke up two weekends ago with a rash that appeared from my breastbone over towards the right breast/upper torso area and on out towards the left shoulder.   It was itchy, but scratching this set off a whole new meaning of the word 'pain!'  Nope don't itch it, cause if you do, it hurts so much more, feels like a deep bruise and major burn!  I couldn't figure out where this rash came from and had put up with the worst of it for over a week before I went in to have it checked.  I hadn't been around a patch of poison ivy or sumac, nor pulling weeds, hadn't changed the laundry detergent, and I tried some ointments which didn't work.  The other day when I had Isabella checked out because she fell and hurt her finger, the PA looked at my rash and asked me about it, said to me it looked like shingles.  Shingles? seriously? so she recommended I see my doctor, who confirmed this diagnosis today.

This is not a picture of my rash, mine is not that big, but nonetheless is that red and angry! wow...so its a prescription of Famvir for 7 days and pain pills!  It appears that shingles occurs as the result of a virus attacking the nerve endings under the skin, no wonder its so painful to scratch and just really really sore! Famvir is supposed to slow down the nerve inflammation and contain in.  My doctor says this is fairly common to see, the severity of which depends.  I'm not sure why, but if you had the chicken pox you could possibly develop shingles.  I've never had anything like this, not even a fever blister.  They say if/when the rash goes away you could then develop the post-herpetic pain, heavenly day I hope it doesn't spread and it never comes back!

8 comments:

  1. I had chickenpox as well so it's a possibilty for me as well. Try to take it easy and get well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, but I'm pretty sure the worst is over, I'm just hoping that the outbreak stays contained and I don't have that post-herpetic pain syndrome stuff...uck!

      Delete
  2. One of the residents where I work had shingles up to and onto her face. She's been on some serious pain medication until it clears up and goes away. Here's hoping yours goes away and stays away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Mr. O, its some scary rash. If one scratches it, it can get quite ugly from some of the pics I saw, mine isn't that bad fortunately, and the sooner its gone the better! they say it can affect eyesight too and even go as far as to cause blindness! geeze who knew?!

      Delete
  3. Encourage everyone to get a shingles shot. I think the rule is you should be 50 or older to get one, but I don't know why they restrict it. My insurance would not pay for it but I went for it anyhow. I suspect most insurance will pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah since I've gotten this first outbreak, I do hope I never see it again; however I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't get that preventative!

      Delete
  4. Here's to a full and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete

I have been temporarily distracted by a shiny object. Go ahead you know what to do!